This workshop module starts with a brief history of space exploration, with a focus on a period in the 1960s and 1970s known as the space race, which saw the first landing on the Moon. Students then take a few moments to build and launch their own mini-rockets, before investigating some of the past and current un-manned missions that have been sent to explore the Solar System. Participants then get to experience their own launch simulation, in order to better visualise the exciting journey into Earth orbit. We end the module with a summary of planned missions and a discussion on how humans might explore beyond our planetary system in the not too distant future.
7 – 11
- History of Space Exploration – Presentation
- Build and Launch a Mini-Rocket – Practical Activity
- Mission Status 2018 – Presentation
- Space Flight Simulator – Practical Activity
- Future of Space Exploration – Presentation
- NASA Missions – full list of NASA missions.
- ESA Missions – full list of ESA missions.
- Orbiter 2016 – space flight simulator.
- Mission to Mars – simulator of Mission to Mars.